Thursday, April 29, 2010

Pyramid Lake Fishing Trip April 15-18th 2010

I finally joined 'the boys' on their annual Lake pyramid fishing trip! It was me, Dad, Tom, Gary, and a few others.

Photobucket


April 15th, 2010
Awoke at 530am, left from Adele's house towards Pyramid Lake.
Drive went pretty smooth, there was still some snow up in the Tahoe area going up the 80.
The area between Truckee and Reno was a beautiful area with the Truckee river flowing alongside the road.
I arrived in Reno and stopped by Walmart for some last minute supplies, including our new crapper, a 5 gallon bucket, along with a portable outhouse for privacy.
Rounding the corner, seeing Pyramid lake was quite the sight for the first time. Set in a barren desert land, miles of water fill a valley between two mountain ranges. What is left of the Great Lohanton Lake is still magnificent. If we only saw it's mother!

The camp:


We stayed at:


Shortly upon arriving, and unloading the boat, Uncle Tom was down at the water and hooked up on a fish. I grabbed the camera and went down to get my first glimpse of a magnificent Lohantan Cutthroat trout. It was a nice male!


Billy cooked up some awfully good chorizo burritos for breakfast, they were pretty tasty. Pretty rare I eat something like that!

I guess the night before, Gary caught this nice fish!

Photobucket


Dad caught a nice fish midging from the boat!


I finally hooked into a fish midging on a red mahalo!


Friday, April 16th, 2010
Because of the dismal luck the day before, we decided to try some spots down by the Nets. The first spot was south of the nets, and quite a few guys were out. The wind was up more here. We fished for roughly an hour, but had no bites between the four of us (Ryan, Dave, Tom, Gary). We saw maybe 1 or 2 other fish caught by the nearby anglers.


We drove down to another spot called Washout, and tried fishing there. There was only 4 other guys out. One guy landed a fish as we got there. Again, it was a bit breezy. We fished for about an hour again, but got discouraged without any bites.
Nice shot of the lake and the pyramid


We headed back to camp, and found out Billy had caught a 10lb fish! Dang, we missed it!
Photobucket

We continued to fish with hardly any fish being landed. Finally around 6pm, Jimmy hooked up into a big fish as seen here. However, it was foul hooked, and got away before we got any good pictures! Dang!





I kept at it, and landed this nice male at almost dark!


Saturday, April 17th, 2010
I awoke around 545 am and got this nice sunrise!


Later some others joined us, such as Al , Brett Hammond, and Jerry. We all did some fishing, with few fish caught.


We were having a good time just hanging out though. Dad caught a sucker towards the end of the night, pretty funny. Things got wild around the campfire that night, someone threw my chair into the fire after it broke. Oh well, I bought a new, better one at Costco the other day.


Sunday, April 18th, 2010
We were up around 6am, and packed up to get out by 8am to get Gary to the airport for his flight home to Phoenix. I drove straight to Cabela's on the 80, and started looking around. What a nice wonderland for us outdoors guy! We got a few fishing goodies, including a new neck lanyard thing for all fishing things. A new idea is to not wear a vest, but just this neck lanyard, and a small pouch with your flies, etc. I left Cabelas around 11am and decided to explore some spots on the way home along the 80.

First stop was around Boca Reservoir. I pulled off the road and looked down at the Truckee. A guy was fishing, and I watched for awhile. He ended up coming back up to his truck, and after chatting for a bit, he said up the road was the little truckee river, and I should give it a try. So I said hey, why not. It was around 1pm and I didn't have much time. I went up and parked just below stampede reservoir. I suited up with waders and all, and went to fishing. What a classic trout stream! I was throwing something like a dry dropper with a EHC on the top, and a nymph on the bottom. I think I needed more weight to get down to the fish quick! I fished for about an hour, trying a few spots, such as the submerged log downstream from the parking lot, and a nice pool below that.



However, every hole I tried to fish, seemed like some other people were already fishing it. I wasn't enjoying the fishing too much, but mostly the scenery. I was running out of time, so I headed back to the truck. I drove up to Stampede real quick to take a peak, I didn't find it very impressive!
Photobucket



After this, I headed back to the bay area. I had a great trip, it was fun to hang out with some of the boys, and get away from all the hustle and bustle! I look forward to exploring some more areas!



Fishing notes:
Water temp: 47
No Wind
Air temp: 71degree
Hot flies: Red Maholo midge
Billy's Custom beetles, all black, or green (white/chartreuse wasn't doing too hot, Gary might have caught his fish on that)
Some people were throwing darker wooly buggers

No comments: