Our family has enjoyed the Eastern Sierras and using Mammoth Lakes as a 'home base' to go explore. How to Use this Guide The below are short brief suggestions. If you see something you like, I still recommend looking it up on google maps or searching for more information on Google. Many of the items have tons of websites with a lot more details! Favorites / Must Do Convict Lake - Around 10-15 minutes from Mammoth, a crystal clear lake with huge mountains as the backdrop. Great for fishing, paddleboarding (morning, as the wind comes up in the afternoon), and renting boats. We like to rent a pontoon boat and drive to the back of the lake. Also, hiking around the entire lake is pretty easy (takes 1-2 hrs) and there are usually beautiful streams / creeks towards the back of the lake that are fun to cross. If you don't rent a boat, we love to go to the 'left' or south side of the lake at the end of the road (small parking lot with a loop) to go down to a rocky...
Well the family decided to do a big get together in Mammoth this year so I decided to take advantage of it and take the whole week off! Great decision! Saturday, July 7th, 2012 I decided to go a new route. I typically take 120 through Yosemite with all the other tourists in the world but wanted a little more peace and quiet so I took highway 108, Sonora Pass. I was delightfully surprised, the road was nearly empty on a Saturday. How relaxing! I had wanted to see this deep canyon reservoir, Donnell Reservoir, for a long time and finally accomplished it! Above: Donnell Reservoir Above: I had heard about this Clark Fork, so I stopped by and managed this guy Above: Clark Fork Above: Beautiful little waterfall Above: Stopped and fished the West Walker in Leavitt Meadows, but no luck. Above: I made it out to the 395 and enjoyed some of my favorite views through Bridgeport Above: Finally rolled into Mammoth and had to check ou...
Having a family full of outdoor enthusiasts, you never know what kind of adventure you will find yourself on. Someway or another we found ourselves chasing wild mustangs. There's a great spot we know of that we have good results of finding the horses. We checked the weather forecast and figured it would be a good day to go explore. We would have 2 UTV's going on the trip, a Polaris Ranger Crew and a Yamaha Rhino. These vehicles are slightly better suited for the trip because of some of the narrow and overgrown roads. After a beautiful drive through the high desert, we arrived at the staging area. There were some dove that fluttered around the crystal clear spring as we loaded up the ice chests and gathered our gear.
There is a cool old cabin where we stage (below)
It looks like someone has redone the corral (below)
Gettin' ready (below)
Off in the distance we saw a trail of dust. A truck you ask? No, a herd of running horses! Imagine that, we didn't ev...
Comments