Our family has enjoyed the Eastern Sierras and using Mammoth Lakes as a 'home base' to go explore. How to Use this Guide The below are short brief suggestions. If you see something you like, I still recommend looking it up on google maps or searching for more information on Google. Many of the items have tons of websites with a lot more details! Favorites / Must Do Convict Lake - Around 10-15 minutes from Mammoth, a crystal clear lake with huge mountains as the backdrop. Great for fishing, paddleboarding (morning, as the wind comes up in the afternoon), and renting boats. We like to rent a pontoon boat and drive to the back of the lake. Also, hiking around the entire lake is pretty easy (takes 1-2 hrs) and there are usually beautiful streams / creeks towards the back of the lake that are fun to cross. If you don't rent a boat, we love to go to the 'left' or south side of the lake at the end of the road (small parking lot with a loop) to go down to a rocky...
It seems like such a beautiful place with great trout fishing as reported here ( http://www.highcountryflyfisher.com/pages/chronJMW6.htm ), however, several things worry me. From http://209.221.195.13/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=44940&page=98&fpart=2 The owner went on to talk us out of going down into Tehipite. Difficult unmaintained trails, and an abundance of rattlesnakes were his main reasons. We took a vote and the boys decided to head up to Geraldine Lakes instead. a comment from:http://209.221.195.13/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=44940&page=98&fpart=1 And finally, not to put a damper on anything, but there is a reason so few people go there. And it's not necessarily the 17 miles from the trailhead that is the issue. From the canyon rim to the bottom are switchbacks to beat all switchbacks, 3000' vertical. Very steep and covered with loose leaves and loose rocks, and in poor condition. I had done the switchbacks on Whitney tw...
Well the family decided to do a big get together in Mammoth this year so I decided to take advantage of it and take the whole week off! Great decision! Saturday, July 7th, 2012 I decided to go a new route. I typically take 120 through Yosemite with all the other tourists in the world but wanted a little more peace and quiet so I took highway 108, Sonora Pass. I was delightfully surprised, the road was nearly empty on a Saturday. How relaxing! I had wanted to see this deep canyon reservoir, Donnell Reservoir, for a long time and finally accomplished it! Above: Donnell Reservoir Above: I had heard about this Clark Fork, so I stopped by and managed this guy Above: Clark Fork Above: Beautiful little waterfall Above: Stopped and fished the West Walker in Leavitt Meadows, but no luck. Above: I made it out to the 395 and enjoyed some of my favorite views through Bridgeport Above: Finally rolled into Mammoth and had to check ou...
Comments